Wednesday 27 February 2019

Fool Proof Chilli Beef

Crispy chilli beef is my abosolute fave from the Chinese and prettyyy easy to make if you don't make my mistakes - I know that doesn't sound very re-assuring... but I learned a lot trying to perfect this recipe! For a tiny amount of time I actually became a culinary crazy scientist (or some might say an irritable stress head) using a combination of different recipes to try and find the perfect one...





1. Coat 300g beef in 2 tbsp's of corn flour and 2 tsp of Chinese 5 spice. This is super important because if you over-do the flour and spice it can become fluffy and the meat won't crisp up

(Also only use beef as I tried this same recipe with chicken and the chicken goes very moist... I know, I'm sorry, I hate that word too but there was no other way to describe it ok?)

2. Fry off the beef in 100ml of oil. You need a good amount of oil so your almost deep frying the meat otherwise you risk it burning rather than crisping. Wait until the oil is super hot and then toss in the beef. Once the beef is crispy and then set aside on kitchen roll to soak up the excess oil.

3. To make the sauce mix 3 tbsp's sweet chilli sauce, 1 tbsp of ketchup, 1 tbsp rice vinegar, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp of water, 1 tsp of brown sugar and 1 of honey.

You can experiment with the sauce dependant on what flavours you want to bring through but for me I like the beef to be sweet and sticky rather than a vinegary or watery. This is why the sugar and honey is really important for me as it caramelises and becomes sticky.

4. Fry off a finely sliced red pepper with the white ends of 4 spring onions but save the green ends for garnish. Add 3 crushed cloves of garlic and fry off until golden but don't let the garlic burn other wise  you can really taste it on the beef.

5. Add the sauce and cook with the veg for at least 2 minutes on high until it's bubbling.

6. Add the beef and cover well. In the meantime cook up some egg noodles to serve.

7. Serve with a sprinkle of spring onions, diced chillies and sesame seeds.


VOILA.

Keeping your hungry,

Hannah x
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig