Wednesday 20 February 2019

Sweet Potato Topped Toast

Instagram worthy this meal definitely is. Easy this meal definitely is not.

I get a lot of my inspiration from food pages that I follow on social media and sweet potato topped toast seemed to be the "in thing". It was absolutley a party in my mouth but following my tips will definitely help you avoid losing fingers.

Like normal toast, sweet potato toast does get cold quite quickly so it's really important to prep your toppings first. For the purpose of the photo and this post I have tried a few different toppings to see what flavours work best with the sweet potato. It's a wise idea to try and pick toppings that compliment each other so that you don't end up with a muddle flavours. I have chosen to test:

♥ Guacamole and baby toms
♥ Satay and sweet chilli
♥ Smoked salmon and cream cheese
♥ Strawberry and balsamic with blue cheese



TIP: Buy smoke salmon trimmings to keep the cost down - 120g is only £1.65 (ASDA) that's enough to top all four pieces of toast.

With all your topping ready to go it's time to make the toast. The shape of the sweet potato is pretty vital in achieving successful toast as each piece needs to be wide enough to be a decent slice of toast. Ideally you want to source nice rounded sweet potato - kind of like a small rugby ball shape. I ordered mine with my shopping delivery and they were all kinds of funky shapes and unfortunately for the purpose of this recipe they were a complete nightmare to cut into the perfect toasty slice.

TIP: Before slicing the sweet potato, nuke in the microwave for 4 minutes to soften slightly.

Unlike to the normal potato, the sweet potato can be quite tough to slice so please, please mind your fingers! Each slice needs to be about half an inch thick. Line a baking tray with foil and lightly cover with oil or a low calorie spray ensuring that the toast doesn't stick to the tray. Pop your slices ready for toasting onto the tray, spray again and season before popping under the grill to toast for 15mins.

OH MY toasty goodness. Whack on those toppings as quick as you can before serving and you've got yourself the perfect brunch, starter or light meal.


Keeping you all hungry,

Hannah x


(ps. I'm sorry I ruined this pic with my creeping little thumb)


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig